Monday, July 28, 2008

Free Style Travel Journal

I just had the most fun making this cover for my new travel journal! No pattern, no measuring, just go with the flow. A journal needs a place for pens, so I decided that the cross stitch girl would be decorative and a 'pen pocket'. First, I trimmed the cross stitch design and cut matching sizes of muslin and fusible interfacing. I placed the non-fusible side of the interfacing on the muslin, then stitch a piece of elastic at intervals to the opposite side. Then I put the elastic side and the right side of the girlie together and sewed around all, leaving an opening to turn the pocket. Next, I ironed it flat, thus fusing the interfacing to the back of the cross-stitch. I didn't bother to sew the opening. Then I ran decorative stitch across the top of the pocket. Next, I cut the journal cover from some scrap faux suede and made your basic book cover, purposely using contrasting thread and not worrying about neatness. After that, I centered the girl and stitched her on the front with a decorative stitch that also closed up the opening. Not being such a fan of black, I thought a fun, fiber spine would spice it up nicely. Added a few baubles. This journal will be used when travelling, so I put extra-long straps so that I could place it over one shoulder OR a shoulder and across the body(like a seat belt) so that my hands could be free. Clearly, I would need them for the camera on my trip too! I didn't like the black straps AT ALL. That's when I went crazy with stitches and thread randomly on the machine. I like the effect, in the end. I sewed these in with colorful buttons. Lastly, there will be lots of souvenier-type ephemera in the journal's pockets so it needed to be shut tightly and it needed to be adjustable. This I solved by punching holes and threading some hemp cord at the top of the inside flaps and tied it. Voila! Now I can't wait to use it!But that will have to wait. I have made a GIANT mess doing this!!!!

2 comments:

kate said...

You've been busy! Where are your travels taking you?

Stephanie said...

Nice, I particularly like the spine you created?

Yes, where are you headed?

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...