Sunday, August 10, 2008

Play Day

On Friday, D called from work and told me to think of something that I wanted to do on Saturday. Knowing that we don't always like the same activities; I came up with 3 things.

1-Walk around 'Old Town' and visit the farmer's market.
2-Have a picnic at Lake Harveston.
3-Go to the movies and see 'Mama Mia'.

Well, surprise, surprise! D said, "We could do most or all of that". So here's a little tour of my fun day out. First we went to Old Town Temecula. This is fun right away because they have kept the old West feel to the buildings down here; even though most of it is refurbished.



This signs reside inside the antique store.


Lovely little specialty shops like cigar, cheese, jerky, nuts, spices, and most importantly loads of antique(aka art supply) shops!

I purchased these cigar boxes amongst the myriad of them.
Would you like to ride on the trolley?Check this out! A wine store, with tasting bar. But, the tiled building you see here...it is INSIDE the shop. Totally cool!And on to the farmers' market. We purchase green tomatoes. I've never had fried green tomatoes(love the movie and the book!) and have always wanted to make them. )They were divine by the way.)What is this thing?Lots of pretty flowers, brightly calling to me.D's back---actually I was looking at the hanging pots of flowers.And here's a close-up.My son.Pause to partake of a banana-strawberry-mango-soy smoothie.Taste?Yummy sparklies and baubles.These gentlemen were playing handmade flutes. Delightful!And the old firehouse at the other end of the market.Then I had to pop into this scrapbook store. The boys waited outside the 'Scrappin' Divas'. Lots of cool stuff here for future reference! No buying for me, just a quick peek today or else the boys would never let me wander into other shops!Here's me.Fun imbedded metal art at the entrance to one antique store.Charming porches surround most of the buildings.This building housed only a jewelery story and people were refurbishing the other empty ones. Love the windmill(I found these nifty rusty washers-free art stuff!) and the old cart filled with plants.

A quaint sign leads you to a tiny, cozy courtyard. I just had to find out what a Crochet Cafe was all about. Really, no cafe; just super cool yarns. They had bamboo and corn yarn as well as yarn made of recycled materials. The textures were lovely!
D and my son were weary of my picture taking. Ya think?! Another neat store had loads of hard to find stamps--the pic didn't turn out here.The old jail house is back here too. Spooky, yet quaint.And a bench to rest your weary feet.With a darling birdhouse above.Back to D's car. It is SO out of place here! On to the picnic!We sat here and looked out over Harveston Lake(man-made). Silly me, I forgot to photograph our lunch! We had:

Lettuce wraps with ham, cheese, onion, and Dijon.
Green apple wedges.
Black and green olives.
Deviled eggs.

Ahhhhh. Breath.


We had company as we ate.Last, but not least we were off to see Mama Mia at the movies. We saw Wall-E instead as it was 2 hours till the next showing of 'Mama'. Ok, Wall-E was not great. It has a wonderful message about taking care of our planet and I am very into 'green' thinking(love the new channel Planet Green, don't you?), but the movie was sad as Wall-E was more pathetic than cute. Some girls in the bathroom that I met(hey, I talk to anyone!) felt the same way. The directors missed the mark on this one.

All in all, a perfect day out for me! Have a great day!

3 comments:

kate said...

Wow! So many photos! Looks like a fun-filled day. I love your cigar boxes.

movie boy said...

mama mia is one of the few plays i've actually seen, which ended up being great... it's funny to think of ol' Pierce taking a stab at singing, yeeesh

Ro Bruhn said...

What a fabulous post and what a great place to visit. Thanks for the wonderful guided tour and thanks for your kind comments on my blog too.

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...