Friday, June 13, 2008

Cooking for Diabetics


Personally, I cook for my fiance who is a diabetic all the time. I'm constantly reinventing recipes to make them lower in carbs. So far, I've had quite a few successes after a (ahem) a few failures and I just thought others out there might be looking REAL food that tastes GREAT for your loved ones with diabetes. We hate panty-waste-cardboard-tasting food and favor garlic, onions, spice---BOLD food. I try to keep it fairly simple and don't usually spend more than 30 minutes over dinner---WHO has time for more?! Tonight, one of the things I am making is an awesome spinach salad. It was inspired by a signature salad of Outback Steakhouse that has lovely tart bleu cheese combined with crunchy sweet walnuts and a citrus dressing. The dressing I make is courtesy of Rachel Ray. She had it on another salad, but I knew it would be perfect for this one. The flavors of sweet, tart, and salty are truly harmonious and explode in your mouth. I apologize for not having a picture; there is a problem with my PC at the moment that I will fix this weekend and I'll post it then. Stay tuned for my no-carb cheesecake this weekend! And now I'm off to craft a Father's Day card for my sweetie.

Spunky Spinach Salad
2 servings
Hint: Make the dressing first so the flavors meld a bit. Also, use 1/4 onion--it's easy to hold and grate, then chop the rest for the salad.
Fresh spinach (however much you want to eat)
3 tbsp. crumbled bleu cheese
3 strips of turkey bacon cooked and crumbled(just save some from breakfast)
3 tbsp. of toasted chopped walnuts(just heat them in a medium saucepan for 3-5 mins. toss around often--I just do a bunch and store them in a resealable bag tossed in the pantry for next time)
1/4 chopped red onion
3 sliced radishes(optional)
1 orange-peel and cut the segments out(supremes) OR use 1/3 of a can of unsweetened mandarines

Arrange spinach on 2 plates. Divide all other ingredients and sprinkle on top.

Zesty Onion-Paprika Dressing
1 tbsp. grated onion+juice--I grate it on a nutmeg grater or fine side of grater
3 tbsp. vinegar(any, I like to switch it up)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. paprika(an actual use for the stuff!)
1 pkt. of Splenda(I think that's about a tsp. if you have bulk)
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk. Pour over salad and serve. Accept copious amounts of praise on the fantastic taste!

Alternative: Add hard boiled eggs or chicken to make it a main dish.

No comments:

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...