Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hide and Seek

My camera is currently on vacation in New York. D went to see Opening Day at the new Yankee's Stadium. Anyway, since I can't photograph anything new, I am reposting one from my old blog and I'll be back with new goodies next weekend!

This will
bore
seasoned scrappers, but perhaps will be helpful to newbies. I know when I started a couple years ago; it was a bit of a mystery. Everybody finds their own way eventually. Here's mine.

I was thinking about my
process so that I could apply it to mixed media art
, that I so desperately admire on others' blogs. I don't know why I am timid and drag my feet to experiment on that!

Anyway, I guess I look at my pictures and pick a few. I already 'see' a story that I want to tell for my family. I know this top photo is what I want to emphasize.
Then, sometimes I go to idea books and mags for layout ideas. In this case, I was not able to easily see what would be a good balance for 3 photos.This part takes the longest for me. Probably it takes me half an hour to pick cardstock and patterned papers. Do I want to match the photos? Do I want to go neutrals that go with any photo? What 'feel' do I want? In this case, I wanted the feel of summer but it looked too 'girly' to pull colors from the photos. That's why I chose a neutral brown as my background. Luckily, I had some 'summer' patterned papers that went with the brown.This main photo is the only one I will mat for emphasis and I chose yellow as yellow is in the photo and it helped it pop.I cut up pieces of patterned paper and made an arrangement. Also, I decided to crop the other photos smaller and stick them together as one.Next, I thought the word 'hide' should be partially hidden. Oh, I already knew the title and theme would be 'hide and seek' from my first step of choosing photos. So, I got some memory glass and inked it with alcohol inks. This was the first time doing this and I just love the effect, and it was SO easy!I put black vinyl letters under them.After that, I decided the patterned papers needed to have the edges inked to tone them down a bit and to draw the eye across the pages spread.I finished the title...this took a while, several experiments with letters. I decided 'seek' should have eyes. It looked a bit off-kilter. I added some subdued stamped swirls and I put photo corners on the top left to solidify the two photos together. I tried to use a visual triangle with the yellow patterned paper on the right, the '&" sign and the photo corners in the top left.To really balance this, I added written journaling and stretched it across both pages. Plus I put their names and the date and place on the right. Writing the name of the place is something I just recently began to do. I think this will give more of a 'picture' of our life for those that recieve these scrapbooks one day. I don't spend much time on my journaling, it's just 'off the cuff'. This took about 1 minute. I just put enough to allow the reader to 'fill in' with their own experiences. Personally, I don't like to read long drawn-out explanations, so I don't like to write them either. I know a lot of people agonize on what to write---my mom being one. As I said, the story is already there when I choose my photos. Have a nice day!

6 comments:

Sandra Evertson said...

Brilliant! I just love the way it turned out and the colors are fabulous! Not to mention thats a pretty cute little
"hider" there too!
Sandra Evertson

chelemom said...

Love this cute LO! Love the alcohol ink idea too!

Carla said...

Oh, how cool is this? I love that you shared your process! I have a process too! It's called CHAOS!!

sPaRkLiNg sCrApBoOkS said...

This is stunning. Alcohol inks & memory glass, wow, you are brave!!! I don't know if I can work with those as pretty as you did! Nice job!!!! It is really neat seeing your step by step process. I'm with Carla, my process is chaos too! lol Why is that??? xOxO deb

Jane said...

awesome work!!! the layout looks great!!!!

Vanessa said...

LOL! Well actually, I didn't know I had a process till I made myself think about it(no, I didn't have much to do that day!). I make an incredible mess each time I make something. Everything is pulled out and it takes longer to put away than anything.

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...