Saturday, March 20, 2010

52 Projects-#1

Claudine Hellmuth inspired my first project. She makes wonderfully whimsical collages with family photos as shown in her book Collage Discovery Workshop:  Beyond the Unexpected. I highly recommend the book if you are a beginner like me. As you will see, I imitated one of her pieces as I was a bit lost on where to start. That is actually the exact point of me borrowing ideas from magazines, so that I can learn and have a jumping off place to start.
That's me, my fiance Don, and my son Basil along with Xena, the dog(who is neither a warrior, nor much of a princess---more of your fun-loving stereo-type of a blonde!), and Polly, the cat(who is being her usual haughty self). Note the separation of the pets. Polly is not one iota afraid of the dog, she just thinks the dog is annoying and of a lower species. Truly a snobbish cat because she feels the same way about her owners!

It was a lot of fun creating the characters and we all had a chuckle over it. Xena thought is smelled nice and wondered if it was at all like a frisbee. Polly thought is was beneath her and slowly turned and walked away with her tail held aloft; but I know she liked the happy vibes in the room. 

On this project, I also learned not to worry about my lack of drawing skills and that just the suggestion of what the picture needed was good enough to tell the story. Anyway, I wrapped this one up and gave it to my son for a Christmas gift. Surprisingly, he really liked it! I even got a small smile from him. If you have teenaged boys, you know how hard that is to elicit at times! Then he stunned me by immediately hanging it up in his room! Whaddayouknow?!(pass me the smelling salts!) I was immensely flattered. Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Umā said...

Hey Vanessa! Thanks for stopping by my blog last week! Long time no "see!"

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...