Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mayonnaise Wraps and Oatmeal Masks

Many of us liked to play beauty parlor or dress up as little girls. I was no different. After I left home at 17, thousands of miles from my family, my sister and I went our separate ways and grew apart.In these photos, in our late 20's, she had come to stay with me for a month. We reconnected and it was like old times. One day we decided to give ourselves beauty treatments. Not having much money, we opted for home-made concoctions that we had heard of. Sticky, gloopy, oatmeal served as a mask to cleanse our pores and slimy, melty mayonnaise for deep conditioning for our hair--wrapped in plastic and a hot towel to top it off. We did each other's make-up at the end and thoroughly enjoyed our bonding experience!
The clocks with the lovely ladies symbolize the eternal little girl inside us all.
This was a happy accident. I had stamped the 'Queen of Everything' card on my background and it did not show up well. So I carefully cut it out, backed the hole and popped the card up on foam dots.

I really love these retro safety pins from Tim Holtz.
Layers, layers, layers...
And now, I really should call up some friends and arrange a mani-pedi party...who's in?!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

testing

Jane said...

what an awesome LO!!!

Carla said...

This is an incredibly beautiful lo with amazing detail! Plus, I have a sister, too, so I totally "get" this!

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...