Sunday, August 15, 2010

Groovy Baby!

Oh what a lot of fun this was! The perfect opportunity to use all those gaudy, bright colors in one piece! This piece was inspired by Shelley Ozbirn. Her 1970's assemblage piece was featured in Cloth, Paper, Scissors (Sep/Oct '09). And so, I created #16 of Project 52.

I was fortunate in doing mine as I had been to a '60's inspired New Year's party this year. We were given party trinkets of necklaces with musical notes and mini, vinyl records. Also, my fiance received (and wore proudly and comically), a pair of guitar glasses. I sawed off one guitar; it was the perfect size here.
The pants are made with various strips of cardstock, mini paper flowers, and Stickles. The belt buckle are cut from an old black leather jacket.

The background was created using thick white acryllic, which was then stamped in and textured with various objects. I drew the word 'groovy' and some peace signs into it. Then when dry, I painted a couple different washes over it and stamped again with stars. Black Stickles were added to the peace signs and word. Naturally, I used the necklaces for a hanger and attached the mini record to the bottom.

One of the most fun parts of this project for me was researching the '60's! This is a fun way to celebrate the year of your birth and find out what life was like then.

No comments:

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...