Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Faux-Pas Faux Fruit

It was a hideous mess doing this! Awkward and clumsy too. This is #10 of my Project 52.

It's ironic that they actually look better in photo than in person. Or maybe not so much? The goal here is to make paper fabric by gluing papers and napkins onto muslim, then creating the fruits and veggies. Kelli Nina Perkins gave a terrific tutorial in the CPS May/June '09 issue and I just loved the bright colors and whimsical idea! She has a fabulous stitch alchemy blog at "common life into ART". It is truly inspirational and candy for the eyes!

Somehow my banana went bananas when I sewed the pieces together and turned out all twisted. 

Bell pepper anyone?

And an eggplant just 'cuz I wanted to make something in purple.
I did learn through the process here. I now understand how tricky making cloth paper is! Also, I was able to use oil pastels for the first time. Love the effect of those! Alas, this method of creating is not really for me. The steps are quite time-consuming and I prefer more immediate gratification. Plus, I was not too crazy about using my brand new sewing machine for such a messy project. I just love my new machine that can embroider and I don't want to gum it up and paint it up yet! I have a much greater appreciation of Kelli's work as an artist.

Now you might be wondering what the point of immitating the artwork of others for my 52 projects. I know, it doesn't seem very creative. But here's the thing; I created my Top Ten list of reasons for doing so:

1. Immitation is the highest form of flattery.
2. I don't know what I'm doing so why not learn from the experts.
3. Force myself to learn new techniques.
4. Develop an eye for composition.
5. Develop an eye for color.
6. Find out which methods and mediums that I gel with.
7. It is a 'fun' resolution for this year.
8. I am happier when I make time to create and this ensures I will make time for it every day.
9. Increasing my arsenal of techniques to apply to future creations.
10. This is the BEST one...I have a terrific excuse to buy more supplies to add to my ever-growing collection! LOL

No comments:

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...