Wednesday, February 18, 2009

N is for Nanny

Nanny was my name for my grandma. I left England when I was about 7 and saw her again when I was 15-16 when I went back for a short time. The next time I saw her was when her and my grandad came to stay for a month with my parents when I was around 20. I am working on leaving little stories for my son since he did not grow up around much family and knows little of his English ancestry. Here is a layout I did using the Que Sera Sera collection from K and Co.
In this detail, the paper already had a butterfly printed on it so I used my craft knife and cut around it and inked it as a 'photo corner'.
Here I made a shadow box. First cut a hole. Tear edges and ink to distress if you wish. Glue a piece of acryllic to the back of opening. Alternatively, you could do what I did and recycle a piece of that 'try-to-open-it-with-a-knife-then-get-the-kitchen-scissors-pull-grumble-tear-grumble-louder-and-STILL-have-to-go-get-your-man-to-help-you-open!' plastic packaging(you know the kind). Place a cut out shape (butterfly here) onto a contrasting piece of cardstock. Stick on with foam squares: Here I stacked them three high. Sorry, the scan got a bit fuzzy here.

And lastly, for those who like to read the journaling; here is what it says:

Nanny was Mildred (Milly) Stannett, my dad's mother. Typically British, she was always offering a 'nice cup of tea'. I remember her as a bit flighty and nervous and very loving and sweet. She came from a large welsh family and had 12 siblings. Because of this, she only finished school up to around 2nd grade and could only read and write a little. I didn't know this till after she passed away. All my life, I would receive cards and letters from Nanny and granddad in loopy handwriting and funny grammar(Like had instead of has). It wasn't until I continued to receive cards and letters after her death that we all realized that GRANDAD had been doing the writing for her. What a sweet man! On the outside he at times appeared a bit crotchety; so this was a big surprise! Anyway, this is the last photo I took with nanny. They had come from the UK to stay with my mom and dad in California for a month. I went home on leave from the air force to visit them. when it came time for me to return to my base, nanny hugged me long and hard. she didn't want to let go, saying she would not see me again. I didn't deny this, I knew in my heart also that I probably would not see her again due to her health and the distance between continents. I am extremely grateful for having this last piece of time with her. Also, I always had a strong psychic connection with nanny. My sister Diane would always ask me on the way home from school if nanny was there(at our house) because I would always know. The only time I was wrong; she had called on the telephone about an hour before.

1 comment:

teacher jessy said...

That is such a pretty LO!! Love the photo :)

Cards That Pop!

   Black makes colors really pop, there's no doubt about it. It's why we go to the classic 'little black dress' for spec...